Translate this page

San Diego County: Firefighters battle string of blazes along Interstate 8

Saturday, May 3rd, 2014
Issue 18, Volume 18.

Two firefighters were injured today while working to extinguish a string of brush fires along Interstate 8 between Alpine and Pine Valley, which may have been sparked by a vehicle's faulty catalytic converter.

One firefighter was being treated for heat exhaustion and the other for a possible fractured ankle, Cleveland National Forest spokeswoman Wende Cornelius said.

The fires were in the Cleveland National Forest east of Willows Road, west of Alpine, and the largest was holding at about 15 acres. Three others were quickly contained.

The largest fire was about 20 percent contained as of 2 p.m., she said.

Callers began reporting the fires to the California Highway Patrol around 10:15 a.m., with one initially described as about the size as a vehicle. Smoke was Advertisement
Advertisement for Berry-Bell and Hall Mortuary
[ Berry-Bell and Hall Mortuary ]
visible from the Border Patrol checkpoint on eastbound Interstate 8 about three miles east of Pine Valley, according to the CHP.

Minutes later, a second fire was reported about two miles to the east of the first, and then a and a third fire was spotted east of the checkpoint. A fourth fire also broke out in the area.

CHP officials said that an overheating catalytic converter on an unknown vehicle may have caused the fires.

Cal Fire crews were assisting those from the Cleveland National Forest to get the upper hand on a fire along the freeway, north of the Pine Valley viewpoint, according to Cal Fire.

Firefighters and the CHP blocked one westbound lane on Interstate 8 near Willows Road, according to the CHP.



arrow Be the first to share your opinion on this article!

Add your Comment


Images, Formatting, or HTML is not allowed : plain text only. You may post up to 5 website addresses within your comment.


The Fallbrook Village News has tightened its' policy regarding comments.
While we invite you to contribute your opinions and thoughts, we request that you refrain from using vulgar or obscene words and post only comments that directly pertain to the specific topic of the story or article.
Comments that are derogatory in nature have a high likelihood for editing or non-approval if they carry the possibility of being libelous.
The comment system is not intended as a forum for individuals or groups to air personal grievances against other individuals or groups.
Please, no advertising or trolling.
In posting a comment for consideration, users understand that their posts may be edited as necessary to meet system parameters, or the post may not be approved at all. By submitting a comment, you agree to all the rules and guidelines described here.
Most comments are approved or disregarded within one business day.

RSS FeedFacebookTwitter

Advertisement for Stellar Solar


Most Commented

Reach Local Customers

The Fallbrook Village News The Fallbrook Village News
760-723-7319 - 1588 S. Mission Rd. Suite 200, Fallbrook CA 92028
All contents copyright ©2015
About Us
Earthquake Information
Business Listings
Contact Us
Letter to the Editor
Report a website error
Online Digital Edition
RSS Feeds